Thursday, April 5, 2012

Roots and Wings


Awake, looking for another way to get back home
Life, resurrected, swallowed death made us whole
In the recesses of your heart where love will grow
Heaven give us roots and wings and lead us home

-Our Communion, David Crowder Band

Roots and wings. Yes. We need both, don't we?

Some moments, I just want the wings. When the ground beneath me feels so unstable, and the ramifications of the fall reverberate strongly throughout my being. I just want to fly away, to soar above all the mess and the brokenness and the heart-wrenching separations. I'm tired of the fighting: my addictions, of fighting each other, of fighting the darkness. I'm so tired of fighting my "flesh"-- All the parts of me that still aren't submitted to God's will and beautiful intentions for His creation.

But I need roots. God might not want me to be of this world, but He wants me to be in it. In the world, but rooted: established, grounded, unshakable, connected, letting life flow through. I need to be rooted in God: rooted in love, rooted in Christ, abiding in the True Vine and blossoming into what I was created to be. This world is broken, but it is beautiful. This world is broken, but it is being redeemed. I am broken, but I am beautiful. I am broken, but I am redeemed. And God is gently and lovingly teaching me how to live in that redemption.


"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and build up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were aught, overflowing with thankfulness." -Colossians 2:6-7

"Keep the earth below my feet
For all my sweat, by blood runs weak
And let me learn from where I have been
Keep my eyes, discerned, my hands to learn."
-Below My Feet, Mumford & Sons

"I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong."
-Ephesians 3:16-17




I do need those wings, to lift my spirit above the murk and the muck, and to help me be the sort of creature who's so close to God that His light just radiates out of me. But tonight, I need to be reminded to reach my roots down and sink in, so that love can grow. Let's keep learning, and let love grow.

1 comment:

  1. wow. jazz. this was so moving and honest. i feel so unstable as well and its so refreshing to know im not the only one. thank you for sharing and may you always be learning growing in love :)

    ReplyDelete