Tuesday, February 21, 2012

In Action and In Truth

I think we all know that what we say, even what we say we believe, has very little weight and value if it's not cohesive and consistent with what we do-- even what we do when it comes to "little things", because that's where character is built. And God should be reflected in and glorified the choices I make when no one is watching, or what I do when no one is "holding me accountable": the quiet time I dedicate to seeking God and just sitting in his presence, studying the Word, worshipping behind closed doors. I need to be disciplined enough to get up when my alarm clock goes off, to keep records for my health statistics, to check items off my to-do list instead of pointlessly browsing facebook or tumblr!

And I need to honor my commitments. When I joined Circles, I said I would do my best to post a blog entry every week. I openly confess that I have not done so. I haven't even come close! I really like blogging and I find it to be quite rewarding, but I haven't followed through in taking the time to write out the posts. I have about five started drafts! But that doesn't do anyone much good, doesn't? So for the remainder of Circles, I am re-comitting to at least one blog a week! That should be do-able. I would also like to start memorizing the Sermon on the Mount again-- something I haven't done in weeks. I apologize to my fellow slices for this failure on my part, and I apologize if I missed out on reading and commenting on any of your blogs, because I'm sure I was missing out on an awesome chance to grow in wisdom. Please forgive me, and let's finish strong : )

But another, happier note on Circles: I AM SO PROUD OF MY FELLOW SLICES. Seriously, you guys:

"Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." -1 John 3:18

A lot of us started out talking about how much we "loved" each other, right? And everything was so encouraging and Holy-Spirit-Sparkly and we were on a little communal honeymoon in the land of milk and honey. And that was awesome! But then, over the past several weeks, things started to change. It got harder to love each other in some situations, some feelings were hurt, and we were threatened by division and burnout. And you know what that gave us the chance to do? To love each other in actions and in truth. It's easy to "love" when things are going along swimmingly and everything is fun, right? But love, real love, is hard. What is asked of us in the oft-quotes 1 Corinthians 13? Let's Message-it for some freshness:

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.

That stuff sounds pretty when you read it at a wedding, but that is HARD. And most of the world will give up on love once it gets too hard or doesn't benefit them, as thought it must not really have been "right". But that's not what God's love does, and that's not what we're called to do. If we love beyond words and in action and in truth, when fleshly love would have vanished, we learn about love really means. And how rad is it that God took what Satan meant as something to divide us and tear it down and made it something to help mature our faith and teach us more about what it means to live in community and love on another?! Seriously, my dear brothers and sisters, the perseverance, humility, and kindness that you (hopefully we!) have show to one another brings such gladness in my heart. It is a blessing to be doing life with you all, and a joy to know that we'll be walking from here into eternity. Let's keep pressing onwards and upwards, yes?

Love.

2 comments:

  1. Jazz your posts are always so long they are intimidating in the thought that it's either this or watch an episode of The Office cause I'm a lazy fool. I'm glad I was able to sit down and read it because you are always so good with words. This is super inspirational, especially about living out faith and living out love. So so so awesome Jazz, you're such an inspiration :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA Scot, I always feel really insecure about how long they are! It's part of why I don't blog more!! Way to hit me where it hurts :p

    ReplyDelete